Mould in a wooden house and damp walls.

For many people, flooding is a big nightmare no one would ever choose to face. Still, this problem is quite common.

Why are moist, damp walls dangerous in a house?

The water itself does not get out of the materials. Therefore, there will be a constant smell of dampness in the house, and over time this will lead to fungus and mould. Most often microorganisms appear exactly on the walls, in the corners or behind the furniture. The problem is that getting rid of the visual manifestations of mould is not enough. The mould can penetrate under the wallpaper and deep into the walls, so eliminating it with artisanal methods or home remedies will not work. If moisture remains in the wall materials, then mould formations will come back again and again. The only way to get rid of them is to dry the structures.

Mould fungus is always associated with high humidity.

Contrary to popular belief, it appears not only in damp cellars and basements, but also in dwellings that have been flooded and not dried in time. The fungus is quite aggressive, it literally destroys wooden materials, turning them into dust. Therefore, wooden wall finishes, and floor coverings can be seriously damaged.

Wet and damp walls in a home can pose serious threats to the health of the residents and the integrity of the building. Here are a few reasons why damp walls are extremely dangerous:

  • Development of mould and fungus: damp conditions provide the perfect environment for mould and fungus to develop. Mould can release mycotoxins, which can be hazardous to human health. Prolonged exposure to the mould and its spores can cause allergic reactions, respiratory problems, and other health issues.

  • Damage to materials: moisture can damage structural building materials such as wood, drywall, or brick. This can lead to rotting, warping and deterioration, ultimately affecting the strength and stability of the building.

  • Deterioration of thermal insulation: moisture deteriorates the thermal insulation properties of materials. This can lead to increased energy consumption for heating and air conditioning, resulting in additional costs.

  • Damage to finishes: Wet walls can damage paint, wallpaper, and other finishes, requiring additional repair work.

  • Health of residents: Excessive humidity and mould can cause a variety of health problems, including allergies, asthma, mucous membrane irritation, and other respiratory problems.

  • Odour: damp walls are prone to odours due to decomposition of organic materials or off-gassing by mould.

  • Deterioration of appearance: wet walls often have an unesthetic appearance. This can deteriorate the appearance of the house and reduce its value.
So, wet, and damp walls are not only an aesthetic problem, but also a serious threat to the health and integrity of the home. Therefore, it is important to find and eliminate the source of moisture, dry and take steps to prevent such problems from recurring in the future.
Some elements of a newly constructed building are often covered with paint before they have even dried. The same situation can occur during the planned renovation of old buildings. As a result, moisture "locks in" and then mould spreads en masse throughout the building.
What's important to know !!!
Microwave drying of walls and foundations provides a quick and economical way to expel moisture from the inside.

Moulds represent fungus fungi found all over the world

And inhabit a variety of substrates, both plant and animal. They belong to the kingdom of Fungi and are a form of their development.
Moulds often form a dense, fluffy layer on the surface of various materials such as food, wood, walls and other surfaces, especially in conditions of high humidity and lack of sufficient air circulation. It is a common species of fungi and fulfills an important role in nature, participating in the processes of decomposition of organic matter.
Some types of mould can be beneficial, such as those used to produce certain types of cheese and antibiotics. However, most moulds are potentially harmful, especially when they develop inside homes and buildings, which can cause air exchange problems and have negative health effects on the residents' health.
Some mould species produce toxins (mycotoxins) that can be harmful to human and animal health if ingested through air or food. Therefore, it is important to take steps to prevent and control mould in homes and buildings, including drying damaged or flooded areas, ensuring good ventilation and regular inspections to identify and remediate mould in a timely manner.

Drying mould is an important step in the process of removing and preventing the reoccurrence of mould in the home. Here are some recommendations for drying and killing mould:

  • Removal and cleaning: Remove all surfaces where mould has formed. This may include wallpaper, drywall, wood panelling or other porous materials. Remember that mould can penetrate materials, so it is important to remove all clogged layers and treat the surface with anti-mould product.
  • Heat treatment: applying high temperatures can kill moulds
  • Ultraviolet irradiation: UV lamps and irradiators can be used to irradiate walls and kill mould. The UV rays cause damage to the fungal cells, resulting in their destruction. However, this method also requires precise and prolonged exposure to mould. It is particularly effective for treating small and hard to reach areas.
  • Natural remedies: some natural remedies can help in the fight against mould. For example, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide have antiseptic properties and can be used to clean and kill mould. Mix vinegar and water in a 1:1 ratio and apply to the surface with mould. Hydrogen peroxide can also be applied to the affected areas and left on for a few minutes before rinsing off thoroughly.
  • Airing and ventilation: ensure good ventilation in the room to speed up drying. Open windows to allow fresh air to circulate. Use fans or dehumidifiers to remove excess moisture
  • Eliminating the cause: When drying out mould, it is also necessary to eliminate the source of moisture and the moisture, which promotes mould growth. This could be a water leak or excessive humidity. Solve the problem that caused the mould to grow to prevent it from reappearing.

This is where wall drying is needed - removing excess moisture - the underlying cause of mould development!

Fast and quality drying of damp walls and foundations with modern microwave technology
It is black mould, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum or "silent killer", that is one of the most well-known and dangerous types of mould. It has gained notoriety for its ability to release toxins called mycotoxins, which can be dangerous to human health.
Damp and mouldy environments are dangerous for humans, especially for people who are sensitive to allergens. Common symptoms of an allergic reaction to mould include:
  • sneezing and runny nose;
  • red eyes;
  • skin rash.
However, mould can also affect the immune system and trigger more serious problems such as asthma attacks.
Stachybotrys chartarum can lead to Sick Sight Syndrome - toxins produced by the fungus make people feel ill. Studies have also shown that the fungus can be deadly and can cause idiopathic pulmonary haemorrhage in infants.
Features of black mould:

  • Colour and appearance: As the name suggests, black mould has a dark colour. It can be greenish-black or black in colour. It may resemble a layer of ink dust or soot in appearance.
  • Habitat: Black mould often lives on damp surfaces such as roofs, walls, windows and other areas with high humidity. It can appear in rooms after flooding, leaks, or ventilation problems.

Besides, the smell of decay will begin to spread throughout the house, and visible damage and defects will appear in the structures.
Black Mould

Advantages of microwave wall drying:

  • Speed - using microwaves, damp basement structures can be dried out in just a few days. Using other means (moisture removal, blowers), it takes several months to achieve this result. For example, a 38 cm wall made of silicate bricks (humidity at the beginning of drying 5.6 %) was irradiated with microwaves for 4 hours. The moisture content decreased to 1.0 - 2.0%!
  • Practicality - the radiation passes through glass, plastic, dry mineral matter and only starts to "act" when it comes into contact with a moistened part of the structure. Therefore, they only heat the areas that need drying out.
  • Cost-effectiveness - despite the high-power rating, energy savings are ensured. The blowers and other devices act on the air in the room, whereas the emitters, in the absence of losses, transfer all energy to the structure to be dried.
  • Works in premises with already completed finishings.
  • Drying at any time of the year, regardless of the ambient temperature.
  • Local heating of the structure eradicates all harmful microorganisms.

Microwave equipment reveals to be able to penetrate deep into the walls - drying them to acceptable values. A favourable environment for mould development is removed. The fungus that has penetrated deep into the wall is dried out. Thus, this process essentially "fries" the walls in a matter of minutes.
Google Review Widget
Protect Your Home Now
Shashel® microwave equipment for xylophagus eradication
We work to make your sleep more peaceful and your home stronger
Video of getting rid of woodworms
© All Rights Reserved. Shashel®.

Irritating and playful, slowly devouring the furniture bequeathed by his grandfather, the woodworm gnawed, gnawed, continued gnawing, as if it were a clock devouring time... © Alves Redol
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience
Do you have any questions? Contact us!
I agree to the Terms of Service