We are interested in the museum beetle, also known as Anthrenus museorum. This species often causes damage to museum exhibits, art, historical artifacts, and other valuable items.
Museum beetles feed on a variety of organic materials, such as:
Artificial materials of animal origin: The food source of museum beetles includes such materials as silk, cotton, linen, paper and other fabrics and materials used in the creation of paintings, furniture, textiles and other art and craft products.
Wool and fur: Museum beetles can damage fur products, woolen clothing, and other items containing wool and fur.
They can also affect feathers, making them potentially dangerous for historical feathered robes and similar exhibits.
Leather: Museum beetles can damage leather goods and leather objects, including shoes, bags, and furniture.
How to get rid of a skin beetle or a moth in insulation safely?
Because of their ability to feed on a wide variety of materials, museum beetles pose a serious threat to the collections of museums, archives, and private collections. Most often, pesticides are used to combat it, such as vapors of 40% formalin, which is quite toxic.
The indisputable advantage of the microwave Shashel® is its direct effect on the pest, which contains a large amount of water. Microwaves will kill a skin beetle inside taxidermy mounts or a moth inside the insulation in a wall, even without physical access and without affecting the environment.